Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

By the Light

Saturday was our wedding anniversary.  We spent the day in Dubuque, Iowa.  It was our second quick visit to Dubuque, and I have to say, I really like that town -- the bluffs, the river, the architecture.  I need a third visit, an overnight, where I can explore more fully.  I'd like to check out the Shot Tower and ride the Elevator (closed in winter), which is a terrifyingly steep railroad up to a scenic view.  While we didn't get to do much, we were lucky enough to find a terrific place for lunch downtown.  A local recommended a darling little cafe/pub called First and Main.  She also specifically recommended their cheese curds.  She acknowledged that it sounded kind of weird to suggest something so ordinary, but, oh, they were not ordinary at all.  They were the absolutely most amazing, lightly beer-battered, melt-in-your-mouth cheese curds I have ever eaten.  If you're ever in Dubuque . . . .

On the drive home, there was a beautiful sunset.  This is what it looked like at sixty miles an hour.


Then the moon rose.  Many of you saw that moon on Saturday.  I couldn't take my eyes off it; I think I really was a little moonstruck.  Luckily I wasn't driving.  I tried to get a photo of the moon at sixty miles an hour too, but that wasn't working out too well, so finally the husband careened into a side road, and I snapped a quick shot.


More time and camera adjustments would have been better, but we knew Alfie was at home, eagerly awaiting his dinner.  And anyway, this picture is enough to remind me of that enormous moon hitting my eye like a big cheese curd in the sky (or something like that).

18 comments:

  1. WOW.. both of your images are wonderful! I love the sunset but I *really* adore the one of the moon and the farm, good job! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! The images you shared are so beautiful. I can only imagine how amazing they were in person. I've never had cheese curds, but they do sound delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! I've only been in Dubuque once. That was quite a few years back when we took a weekend trip to Galena. We were with another couple and they wanted to go on the gambling boat in Dubuque. Not our cup of tea, but we went along with it. Your photos are just beautiful, too.

    You asked where the independent bookstore was that I featured on my blog. That bookstore in Anderson's Bookshop on Jefferson St. in Naperville.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! I've only been in Dubuque once. That was quite a few years back when we took a weekend trip to Galena. We were with another couple and they wanted to go on the gambling boat in Dubuque. Not our cup of tea, but we went along with it. Your photos are just beautiful, too.

    You asked where the independent bookstore was that I featured on my blog. That bookstore in Anderson's Bookshop on Jefferson St. in Naperville.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive photographs.... should be framed!! Happy Anniversary it sounds as if you have had a lovely outing. I like the sound of that little cafe....I just love those sort of places.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary, there have been some amazing sunsets/rises lately but always driving so hard to get a photo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Anniversary! We were in Minneapolis on Saturday and I was the passenger commenting on the gorgeous sunset and huge moon. It really is a small world, isn't it? I love your photo of the moon shining over the old barn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! I love Dubuque for all the reasons you list. We stayed overnight there. Also toured the riverside museum, drove to some park from whence we could see three states, walked downtown to view that stunning architecture. I saw that elevator, too, but no way I would ride that. Too scary for me.

    Love your sunset and moon shots.

    I also want to return to Dubuque.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary!!!! The photos are breathtakingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful photos....I always have trouble getting a good photo of the moon.
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary, glad you celebrated in a wonderful way. Love your photos.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both the shots are beautiful. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary! The photo of the sunset and the image of the moon are both stunning. Very special. I'm glad you had a good time in Iowa xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have family in Iowa and our farm still there however I have never visited Dubuque. Sounds like it is a beautiful town! Yes I do remember that huge moon!!! I was mesmerized by it and wishing it could get even closer! Happy anniversary to you! May the Lord bless for many more years together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sunset photos are beautiful. And t's wonderful that you had some time to get away for your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW---what a gorgeous sunset and then the moon!!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful Anniversary.... Congrats.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome pictures! Happy very belated anniversary. I won't be too far from you when I move North...not too far from Galena. Maybe in the Summer we could meet in Dubuque! That would be fun! The cheese curds sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the sunset! I'm going to be in Dubuque overnight next month, as I'm going to be an assistant chess tournament director at a tournament there. Would love to meet-up with you sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.